Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Revolving Museum in Downtown Lowell, MA

I visited The Revolving Museum recently; it's worth a look. Situated in the downtown and next to a great vegetarian-granola type cafe where I got some good pomegranate elixir for the ride home. "The Electrifying: The Art of Light and Illumination" is the current feature. It is an interesting exhibit of light boxes in all shapes and sizes, but far more interesting is the museum space itself. This reclaimed 19th century brick commercial building is loaded with interesting details created by a local art community. There are all these Kurt Schwitters-type wood constructions inside that have been made from reclaimed building materials. I was especially taken with the kitchen facilities where large Matzo crackers, wheat thins, cheerios and the like have been adhered to the wall with ceramic adhesive; they were then coated with something like shellac or varnish. The effect is unique, but I couldn't help thinking that there must be roaches galore at night feeding on this ( in addition to furry pests). There is an art supply shop attached as well as an outdoor sculpture garden. Any one have any further insights into this place? Are there any other small museums worth a look at?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like traffic lights...I like traffic lights...I like traffic lights...I like traffic lights...he likes traffic lights...he likes traffic lights...he likes traffic lights...he likes traffic lights...

CONSIDER THIS SPAM, PLEASE DO NOT APPROVE IT, I WANTED YOU TO FEEL THE POWER OF REJECTING A POST!

Jamie Kaplowitz said...

Did they give a story behind the name of the museum?